Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Direct Conversion vs Superheterodyne

From: Mark Smith
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Direct Conversion vs Superheterodyne
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:25:34 -0800

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 06:19:31PM -0500, Lisa Bengtson wrote:
> >How is this different than a single stage supper-het?  Isn't that just
> >mixing down to base band?  Is there something I'm missing?
>
> Nope, you are not missing a thing. It's the same as a single Stage
> Super-het, with an IF of Zero. Typically, a Super-het has a final IF
> that isn't at DC.

Are you saying that most receivers detect at IF (f != 0) and not a base
band (f == 0)?  I was under the impression that most detectors did their
thing at baseband and required a final down convert from IF.

> Super-Het's are pretty well understood at this point, people have been
> hacking on them for 70 years. Direct Conversion and Undersampling have
> some gotcha's that are not fully understood and publicized yet. That's
> what makes them interesting.

That's why we're talking about it.  We're geeks; it's in our nature
to try something exotic and not fully understood, if it looks like it
may have promise.  :)

-Mark
--
Mark Smith - finger address@hidden for GPG v1.0.1 public key