Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VLF Application

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VLF Application
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:15:41 -0800

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:01:19PM -0700, Joseph DiVerdi wrote:

> I've been working on a VLF Software Receiver for use in
> investigating certain ionospheric phenomena. These investigations
> involve measuring the *complex* amplitude of several terrestrial VLF
> transmitters which has been forward scattered off of the
> ionosphere. The complex amplitude is sensitive to the elevation of
> the reflecting/refracting layer which in turn is sensitive to solar
> wind, CMEs (Coronal Mass Ejections), and supposedly to GRBs (Gamma
> Ray Bursts).

Nice work.

Thanks for providing details on your strategy, including the impedance
matching trick for getting the signals into the lab over the phone
wire, and the safety tips for avoiding problems with lightning.

We'll eventually need a way to catalog and contribute signal
processing modules developed by everybody.  Please let us know what
you need and/or come up with for your application.

Eric