[Discuss-gnuradio] Hardware questions

From: Daniel Rogers
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hardware questions
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:19:10 -0800

So,

I am interested in gnu-radio, but am having a little trouble understanding what hardware I need to begin playing with it.

I understand that I need an ADC and a RF tuner.

What I don't understand is how to choose an RF tuner/ADC that best fits my needs.

The ADC you mention is the docs is 20MHz 12 bit samples 4 channel input, 2 channel output ADC for about 1300 dollars.

I was wondering if I could find a solution that better fits my budget. Does anyone know something a little more affordable, or do I need to go with the aformentioned model to be able to reliably experiment?

Also, you mention in passing RF tuner modules. Can I construct a passive impedence matching and broadband filters, or do I need to go with a commerical model?

Essentially, I am a programmer with a physics degree. I have very little experience with this kind of hardware, though a sound understanding of the fundamentals. The idea of playing with radio signals amuses me, but, for now, I don't have much in the way of disposable income and was wondering if there was a way for me to start playing now, rather than have to wait a while for my buget to permit me to begin?

--
Dan