Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BeginnerQ: Data Types/Domains

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BeginnerQ: Data Types/Domains
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 01:11:37 -0700

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 12:44:50PM +1000, David Brodrick wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am considering implementing some VrSigProcs and have a question. For
> some of the modules it would be most convenient for the inter-module
> data stream to represent data in domains other than the time domain.
> Perhaps the data stream may need to contain arbitrary data, accurate
> time stamps as an example. Serialised objects as another.

Kind of difficult in general because of how the dyanmic scheduler
works.  It can represent, for example, frequency domain data sampled
periodically.  The data objects passed around could be vectors of FFT
output.

(Note, that due to a bug in the implementation,
   N * PAGE_SIZE % sizeof(data_object) must == 0 for N an integer)

>   For instance, at a glance, GrFFTSink seems to perform the FFT and
> display the result, whereas, were it possible, it would seem more
> general to have a separate FFTSink and SpectrumScope classes.

Correct.  This will be changed at some time in the future.
The GUI stuff is generally pretty crufty right now.  Most of our
effort of late has been in the ATSC receiver.  The GUI stuff will get
an overhaul once that ATSC receiver is stable.

>   What is the best way to approach this with the gnuradio architecture?
> Is this done between any existing modules? Does it violate a design
> goal? Perhaps I need to 'forget it and whack it all in a megamodule'?

Take a look at the dtv code.

>   Clearly I have only familiarised with a small part of the code base.
> If my ideas fit with the capabilities of gnuradio I will be looking more
> closely over the weekend.
>
> PS- Any docs describing the implementation of a new VrSigProc?

No, but take a look in gnuradio/src/gnu/lib/gr or gnuradio/src/gnu/lib/dtv.
All the files that begin with Gr*.{h,cc} are subclassed from VrSigProc.

If you cd to gnuradio/doc and invoke "doxygen"  it'll build
documentation extracted from the source code.  It probably ought to
this automatically...

> Thanks in advance!
>   Dave

Eric