Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] digital AM

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] digital AM
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:39:10 -0700

John Gilmore writes:

> > Info about DRM can be found at www.drm.org
>
> "DRM" is not a standard -- it's defined by a copyrighted ETSI document that
> can't be redistributed, can't even be viewed without revealing intrusive
> personal information, and appears to require the use of patented
> algorithms.  Why would anyone use such a restrictive "standard" when
> freely available, publicly viewable Internet standards are available?

If you need a digital AM standard and your local government will allow
you to use one but not another, you might not have much choice about
which one you use.

I heard that Zenith claimed patents on some parts of VSB modulation,
but if you want to do terrestrial DTV broadcast in the U.S., you must
use VSB.  (The history of the FCC's approach to broadcast is to choose
a technology winner for a particular application and require that that
technology be used.  VSB competed with a thing called COFDM, the FCC
chose VSB, and now it would be illegal for a terrestrial broadcast
station to elect to use COFDM instead of VSB.)

I haven't looked at DRM yet, but that's one possible reason which comes
to mind.

The IETF RFC model has served the Internet community really well, but
it doesn't seem to have gained a lot of traction in other standards
areas.  I don't know why that is.

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk