Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Background Reading

From: Ken Sinclair
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Background Reading
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:22:04 -0400

Frank Pilhofer wrote:

 I am trying to learn about Software Radio. I'm a computer scientist,
and my background in radio technology is rusty, to say the least. But
I would like to understand SDR "from the ground up."

 So I wonder if you could recommend a good book (or online resource)
that helps me learning about things from building a radio out of analog
components and AM/FM/other modulations to signal processing in software
(FFT and such).

The best reference I've found for engineers needing a practical refresher
or intro to digital radio is "Wireless Digital Communications: Design and
Theory", by Tom McDermott, published by TAPR (www.tapr.org).

From there you're ready for Proakis ("Digital Communications") etc.

Ken Sinclair
Wavetrain - Wireless computing and embedded system design