[Discuss-gnuradio] Response to question about background reading

From: Bill Wetzel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Response to question about background reading
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:57:55 -0700 (PDT)

Almost a month ago a query was posted looking for
recommendations for background reading.  I can recommend three
books.

1) The classic text for many years was "Communications Systems"
by Bruce Carlson.

2) "Communications Systems", B.P. Lathi. This too is an older
text (my edition is 1968 but I believe there is a newer one). It
includes a lot of the mathematical background to communications
as well as a description of many modulation schemes.

3) I am fuzzy on the third book so let me provide only a partial
description - perhaps other readers will recognize it and give
the exact title/author. It is a red book, about 1.5" thick, much
newer than the above, authors name may start with a "s" or "z".
It is distinguished by the treatment of continuous vs. discrete
systems: both are presented side-by-side so that the
similarities and differences can be appreciated.

Bill

=====