Re: [directory-discuss] Should we use Wikibase in our new infrastructure

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Should we use Wikibase in our new infrastructure?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:52:10 -0400

David Hedlund <address@hidden> writes:

> "Wikibase is a collection of applications and libraries for creating,
> managing and sharing structured data. It is an open source project and
> everyone is welcome to join in development." - http://wikiba.se/
>
> wikidata.org uses Wikibase --It goes _much_ faster wikidata.org than
> directory.fsf.org so I proposed Wikibase for our new infrastructure:
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Infrastructure
>

> Please leave feedback.

Upsides:

It would give an api to update data. With semantic mediawiki, you have
to update entire pages. This would allow better syncing from sources
like mozilla and debian.

We could also use it to pull in data from wikidata, but that could also
be done without adopting wikibase for our own data.

Downsides: wikipedia's use of it seems to be mostly around linking
between languages, and a very small use of the actual data, and where it
is used, it's not user friendly, the data magically appears from a
template that that has a wikidata reference number and there is no easy
way for users to navigate to that data to edit it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikidata

At this point it does not seem high priority to adopt it, but it's got
potential.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF