[directory-discuss] gnu.org "Free Software for Windows" - Microsoft Visi

From: Josh Blagden
Subject: [directory-discuss] gnu.org "Free Software for Windows" - Microsoft Visio
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 11:29:01 -0500

Hi guys,

    I was looking for a FOSS replacement for Microsoft Visio, and I went to the gnu.org page for "Free Software for Windows" because I knew it would have an answer to this question of mine. According to that page, the free software alternative to Microsoft Visio is Dia. However, when cross-examining with alternativeto.net, I discovered that Dia was discontinued back in 2011 - at least for the Windows and (possibly) Mac versions of the program. I guess it's still being actively developed because I see it's in the Debian repositories for Wheezy (7), Jessie (8), Stretch (9), Buster (10), and Sid (unstable). So, I guess it's just an issue of compiling the program for Windows and maybe also Mac. Any idea what's going on with Dia? Why isn't it available for Windows? Why is alternative.net reporting it as having been discontinued six years ago?

Josh