Re: [directory-discuss] Is a repo with just a COPYING file GPL-X-only or

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Is a repo with just a COPYING file GPL-X-only or GPL-X-or-later?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:26:54 -0300

Interesting question indeed.

There is also the main project file (with at least one of "main",
"start", "init", "[project name]" names, suffixed by a file
extension). This one might have what we look for.

However, I would take Bradley Kuhn's suggestion during a talk
([[https://sfconservancy.org/videos/2016-10-13_Kuhn_GPL-Enforcement-OpenWrt.mp4]]):
In doubt, in order to be compliant, go for the worst.

So, I see two "worse" possibilities:

a. It's GNU GPL [Some number], only, not "or later".

b. It's not GNU GPL at all. This alternative is based on the assumption
that releasing a work without *clearly stating* the license places it in
default copyright license.

The reasoning behind alternative (b) can also extend to other other
licenses, and compliance to them also. As an example there is a recent
publication by Luis Villa, where he notes how to comply with the various
Creative Commons licenses in slides and presentations
([[http://lu.is/blog/2017/02/27/complying-with-creative-commons-license-attribution-requirements-in-slides-and-powerpoint/]]).
 This
is specially important and interesting because I see many people making
use of "Creative Commons" works (as these people call it) but failing to
give detailed attribution (preferably *in the work itself*), or failing
to comply with ShareAlike and NoDerivative variants (when they do
apply).

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com