Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom

From: David Seaward
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom betrayed' packages in the directory
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 09:47:38 +0200

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> In the case of MySQL, there is a free program and a proprietary
> program; they are not the same.
>
> The free MySQL is useful, not mere bait.  We should list it in
> directory and we should NOT tag call it "bait and surrender".
>
> But we should warn people to reject the nonfree version.
>
> Any suggestions for how to do that?

How about "Warning: Ambiguous name" ? Based on the 'official' names
listed at https://www.mysql.com/downloads/ the warning text could look
something like this:

Warning: Ambiguous name. "MySQL Community Edition" is useful free
software, which you can download from the links provided here. Do not
confuse it with "MySQL Enterprise Edition" and other proprietary
software with "MySQL" in the name.

...in addition the title of the FSD entry would be the unambiguous
"MySQL Community Edition".

I think this should cover most cases where the developer (trademark
owner?) uses a particular name in both free and proprietary releases
(GitLab, Krita, PyCharm...)

Regards,
David