dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] serveez binary type and guile-2.0

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] serveez binary type and guile-2.0
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:03:02 -0800 (PST)

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
>
>   For guile-2.0 we could
>
>   1/ have functions that use the binary type use bytevectors
>      instead and just not have serveez-binaries when compiled
>      with guile-2.0

>I prefer 1/, 2/ or 3/ with ‘s/bytevector/u8vector/g’.  This way,
>any Guile that has SRFI 4 support (i.e., 1.4 and up) can benefit.
>This is mostly due to ignorance of Guile 2 bytevectors, i suppose.

I guess since I don't really care to much about backward compat,
maybe we should just gut serveez-binary and replace it with
SRFI-4.

>How does SRFI 4 u8vectors compare against Guile 2 bytevectors?
>(I confess to just only recently being able to finally compile
>Guile 2.0.5 on my computer.  It took all afternoon!)

Seriously.  Guile 2.0.x is way too hard to build.

I hope someday they can get the distros to package it, so I
don't have to build it any more.

But anyway, in Guile 2.0.x, SRFI-4 is implemented in
terms of bytevectors, so they are identical.

-Mike