Re: [Denemo-devel] A possible scheme script

From: rain
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A possible scheme script
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 08:53:26 -0800

  The downside of doing something like that is when you decide you want
to make a musical edit - you can't import the markings you made in
Inkscape back into the Denemo score.

It so happens that if we were about to create the sort of markup you
want we would create something that already exists in Denemo/LilyPond,
namely the figured bass interface. This lets you put numbers above
notes in the way you illustrated in the sample you sent.

This is a sure fit for the situation.
If there is a whole note on bottom staff, only one figured bass is allowed as a vertical stack of numbers (at first glance, perhaps adjustable?), so the numbers could easily go above the upper staff if there are two half notes that would be labeled, for instance. Or the vertical stack could just represent the same thing and the distribution is implicitly understood by order (top->down = left->right).

The facilities in Denemo for figured bass are extremely well-developed because it is
my speciality, and the initial reason I started developing code for
Denemo.

Fascinating! Going to learn about figured bass at Wikipedia right now.

The fact that they were created to have a different meaning is
irrelevant - neither Denemo nor LilyPond actually understand anything
much about figured bass :)

Even though the meaning (use) may be different, it is worth educating oneself about the historical uses of figured bass, since it was a frequently employed element at the time of the great classical composers.

HTH