Re: [Denemo-devel] A possible scheme script

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A possible scheme script
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 13:09:25 +0000

On Sat, 2019-02-02 at 17:38 -0800, rain wrote:
> On a different note, as far as labeling the interval distances after
> 'staff note-jumps', it may be good if I just do that with an exported
> pdf in Inkscape, and avoid trying to set up something with automatic
> text, since alignment issues would most likely be frustrating (the
> other thing is: printing text on both display and print view...
> really, the numerical visual aid is useful for counterpoint writing
> in perhaps the early phases to help the student make sure they are
> following certain rules, so wouldn't necessarily need to be printed
> on the score itself; But as I said, I will try Inkscape for that.

The downside of doing something like that is when you decide you want
to make a musical edit - you can't import the markings you made in
Inkscape back into the Denemo score.

It so happens that if we were about to create the sort of markup you
want we would create something that already exists in Denemo/LilyPond,
namely the figured bass interface. This lets you put numbers above
notes in the way you illustrated in the sample you sent. The facilities
in Denemo for figured bass are extremely well-developed because it is
my speciality, and the initial reason I started developing code for
Denemo. The fact that they were created to have a different meaning is
irrelevant - neither Denemo nor LilyPond actually understand anything
much about figured bass :)

HTH