Re: [Denemo-devel] Release 1.1

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Release 1.1
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 14:38:49 +0000

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 10:48 +0100, Éloi Rivard wrote:

>         > This is what Travis does, tag r1.1.0 seems ok here :
>         > https://travis-ci.org/denemo/denemo/builds/13463982
>

>         Does it? - could it? - generate a tarball that we could test
>         (to see if
>         it actually generated version 1.1.0).
>
> It does now: https://travis-ci.org/denemo/denemo/jobs/14168685
>
> You can see the test script here:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/denemo.git/tree/tools/travis/run-script.sh#n20

Reading this script I see it run the make dist command but where is the
resultant tarball for downloading and testing?

>         > That may mean that the tarball generation is inconstant, I
>         will check
>         > that and add make it automatically checked in Travis.
>         >
>         > Why do you think it is related to tags ?
>

>         because that is what has changed since the last release.
>

>         I don't know much about this as I say, but "change the commit
>         for which
>         a tag stands for" does not seem to describe what is needed.
>         There may
>         have been further commits to master (since the code that is to
>         be in the
>         release was fixed upon but before the translations are ready
>         to commit),
>         so the tag can't simply be moved forward on the master branch.
>

> Tags allow this actually. You can see a tag like a token that you put
> on commits you want. You totally can add further commits, cherry-pick
> the commit and apply it on the tagged commit, the only thing needed
> then is to set the tag on the last commit.
>
> What do you mean by "move forward a tag on the master branch" ?

If that phrase has no meaning, then it is just that I don't have a good
model of what sort of thing a tag is. I was imagining it being an alias
for the source code that resulted from a particular commit. Instead
"You can see a tag like a token that you put on commits you want."
implies that it is a name for the tree resulting from a set of commits
applied in the order they happened. That makes sense to me.

>         A set of steps to take at each stage would be very useful I
>         think - I
>         have been using the ones you emailed for updating the
>         translations etc,
>         this has been working well
> I just created a maintainer page that is not listed in the menus:
> http://denemo.org/maintainer-page/

That page looks like a good cookbook.

> Also, I just pushed some fixes about file opening, and added a test
> that tries to open a blank file in non interactive mode.

Hmm, that is a pretty extensive commit, I will need some time to
integrate it with my current work ...

> Unrelated question: I noticed the files in the "samples" directory.
> What should be expected from those files ? Maybe they can be part of
> the test suite ?

I think I created this with the idea of having some sample Denemo files
for showing the user what can be done (There is a command in the Help
menu to open one). It seems you moved a test case that I devised to that
directory:

> [denemo.git] / samples / DurationError.denemo
>

> 2013-05-17
> Éloi Rivardmoved test dir to sample
> blob | commitdiff

I could imagine the files being useful for interactive tests.