Re: [Denemo-devel] French translation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] French translation
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:13:37 +0000

On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 21:10 +0100, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Eh eh. It is not a big deal, it was just searching for display
> functions in the code :)
> Maybe you can keep the C part, as I don't think it is automatically
> generated.
I have applied the patch, and the C part has survived. One thing it
might be useful to bear in mind is that the g_warning() calls probably
(on balance) shouldn't be translated. This is because they are not seen
by non-techie users, they are more or less for debug, and it becomes
more difficult to track them down in the source if they are translated.
And, of course, they increase the load on the translators.

> As you mention the fact that you have scheme code burried in XML
> files, I have a naive question: Why don't you put it just besides in a
> scheme file sharing the same name than the XML file ? (For example:
> augment.xml and augment.scm).

Well, it only makes sense to do that for the benefit of xgettext - the
alternative would be to upgrade xgettext to swallow xml files with a set
of field names to look for code in. If I had been looking ahead to
translatability I might have done the former for pragmatic reasons. My
lookahead is a little, ahem, limited, rather like stdin :)