Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi shortcuts

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi shortcuts
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 13:13:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:39:47 +0200, R. Mattes wrote:

> I guess my general concern is that there is no distinction whatsoever
> between the C side of denemo and the guile side.

And to elaborate a bit more: denemo should deal with two types of data  (both
as parameters and return values): SCM values for all functionality exposed to
the scripting layer or C data types for internal code. Nowhere should there be
string representations  of scheme code. It almost always is a sign of bad design
if string->scheme or scheme->string shows up in code. But i fear that in denemo
this is the result of big missunderstandings. Just one example: why

 (eval-string (string-append "(d-SetEnharmonicPosition " (number->string
thestep) ")"))

instead of a simple

  (d-SetEnharmonicPosition (number->string  thestep))

 (define Pitchbend::commandUp "(d-CursorRight)")

Make it

 (define Pitchbend::commandUp d-CursorRight)

and then later on

 (if  Pitchbend::commandUp (Pichtbend::commandUp))

etc. I hope it's clear what I'm trying to get at.

 Cheers, RalfD