[Denemo-devel] Denemo View

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Denemo View
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:33:40 +0100

Hello list,

Scrolling, viewing and cursor moving wasn't a strong part of Denemo from the
beginning. The measure-width changes a while ago made keeping track while
editing and scrolling harder and the recent changes introduced new bugs (as
expected!) which make things not better.
I think its time this should end alltogether. The current situation is a mix of
new and old problems, making it nearly impossible to work. I'm doing a piece
with timesig changes right now and the cursor is jumping around wildly, is
placed in the wrong measure as graphic but by logic and position is in the
right one (this is new). Half of the time you can't see the lowest staff (this
is a problem since I now Denemo), measures change their width with every cursor
movement and even with "Clear selection" or other commands (its there for a
while but got worse recently), playback-view is jumping around and does not
follow the cursor (also old) etc. etc.

I do not blame anyone! These problems come from a wrong design decision which
was, I suspect, made early in the history of Denemo that there is only a cursor.

The only real solution in my eyes is a viewport that is independent of the
cursor and the playhead(s). Additional functions make it easy to
(automatically) move the view to or with the cursor or keep track with the
playhead.
This means: Draw the movement completely (optimisation of course possible!)
with a zoom factor, scrollbars and mouse wheel move the viewport, not the
cursor.

Its a simple principle which is worth every minute of redesign and refactoring.
I think any time invested to fix the current situation with new tricks is not
spent well.

I would like to know other opinions, preferable not only from the other devs
but also from the (else silent) readers here.

Nils