Re: [Denemo-devel] fluidsynth channels

From: Nils
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] fluidsynth channels
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:16:29 +0100

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:31:36 +0000
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was wrong in thinking fluidsynth was only responding to channel 0, it
> has a default of 16 channels, and it can pretend to have up to 256.
>
> I have set channel = 2 (i.e. 1) in staff ops and then done prog change
> of 0xC$ and 0xC0 and 0xC1 and they all behave as they should (i.e.
> changing prog in the channel you are not using has no effect, etc)

If its all working now I can start uploading the scripts for user which will
make it easier. I mean for users and for user-scripter. Menu options and easy
scripts.

Thank you all for the hard work, this is really a great thing.  Finally I will
be able to send Denemo itself to my friends and tell them to install it (in
Windows) and they are not going to say "I can't hear anything, this is a crap
software".

> So I think we are in business for fluidsynth out: the only thing needed
> now would be a mapping from prefs/choices made by the user to JACK or
> fluidsynth depending on user's --enable-xxx setting.
>
> Richard

Should the choice be really on compile time? Maybe I just got you wrong but I
think of Binary Packages in distributions and it should be better to always
configure Denemo with --enable-fluidsynth and --enable-jack.

First check should be on configure. Compile only with sound if the libs for
jack and fluid are there (It should be possible to have Denemo completly
without sound, just as lilypond-typewriter).

And second if both soundlibs are compiled in it should be possible to switch in
Denemo.

There are more things, for Jeremiah:
1)The Button "Restart Fluidsynth" is currently buggy. You have to switch from
JACK to ALSA manually, but then press "ok", leave the pref-dialog, go in there
a second time and then press "Restart Fluidsynth" to make it work. Isn't it
better if "Restart" directly reads the value of the driver-drop down box.

2)Is is possible to auto-detect the audio driver every time Denemo starts? For
example if JACK is not running use ALSA instead. Or maybe introduce "Auto" as
drop-down option so that the user has a detailed control if he wants to force a
driver or let the app decide.

Nils