[Denemo-devel] Drum notation (and its Clef)

From: Nils
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Drum notation (and its Clef)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:32:18 +0200

Hi,

The short version: We need a clef that looks like \clef percussion but behaves
like a normal bass clef.

The problem is that Lilyponds perc.-clef behaves like an Alto-Clef, I guess the
reason is arbitrariness.

However, in computer-world a percussion clef is merely a graphical replacement
for a bass clef so that playback (midi) works.

I think this needs C code so the "Percussion (Bass)" clef shows in Denemos Clef
menu. A "Percussion (Alto)" or "Percussion (Lilypond)" (oposing to "Midi")
could be added, too.

Long version:

I just looked up some Percussion info on Lilyponds manual. It seems that their
approach is well thought, but not from this earth.

You can add drum percussion by instrument names there (bass drum, hihat etc.)
This is a nice approach because drum-notation knows no standards and you can
choose which name is which instrument afterwards.

This is incompatible with MIDI. This is not different from Denemos current
situation (or any other notation app).
Their approach is to have abstract names and change it to midi notes when
exporting to midi.

Denemos Approach, and thats what I am currently working on, is to use normal
notation and use several voices if you want to better control note stems,
playback and notehead.

The user will get a suite of powerful scripts that can be used to merge the
voices, convert drums between their own way and midi-standard.

The "normal" way is to use Midi Notation and then later convert it to Print
Notation. This way you have the right playback and the right look.
And for all this a bass-clef with percussion-disguise is needed.

Nils