Re: MIDI (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Anacrusis script needed)

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: MIDI (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Anacrusis script needed)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:49:06 -0500

On Sep 16, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 09:03 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:51 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 07:50 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
What is this "transport" thing?

Jack transport is used to sync software timing. A user can sync it to
a multitude of things. Theoretically a user can user denemo and
xjadeo[1] to produce film scores. xjadeo is a simple video player that
is controlled via midi MTC or jack transport. When the user has
transport enabled in their denemo preferences all she has to do is
hit play and the video will start rolling.
With the current denemo code, what actually happens if you have
transport enabled in your denemo preferences? You hit play in denemo,
and what should be happening?

Nothing happens if you don't have a jack transport slave running. I just tested it out and it seems to work fine. I wrote a little blues riff in
denemo and then launched hydrogen (drum machine software). I set the
tempo in hydrogen to match denemos tempo.
Is this needed because we have something missing in denemo at the
moment?

I don't know. From tutorials I have read about other software the tempo had to be set the same in both. Maybe Nils can confirm this.

Then I pressed play in denemo.
So I guess this sends a message to JACK telling any clients in
"transport slave mode" to start?

That is correct.

I notice another bit of code, to do
with stopping...

It is probably the code to stop the transport. This way the slave will stop when you hit stop in denemo.