Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: Updated RPM spec file

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: Updated RPM spec file
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:21:34 +0100

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 09:34 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > In this sort of timescale, I would hope to have the basics of the
> > customizable command sets ready. (For example, you would be able to
> > merge in the Guitar command set which would add a new menu which
> would
> > contain menu items for attaching each possible guitar fingering to a
> > note, shortcutted to the 1 - 5 keys).
>
> What scripting languages do you know Richard?
I have only written odd hacks in these - the last time I spent a serious
amount of time in an interpreted environment it was Tcl, but I think
this might be the wrong question ...
> What about everyone else
> on this list? I was reading on the guile website about how easy it is
> add guile support to applications.
... the wrong question, because the underlying application I suspect
needs to be much better designed that Denemo is at its core. (That is
grossly unfair to the original author, of course, what I really mean is
that the underlying core of Denemo needs to have simple, comprehensible
objects and functions amenable to being the target of a script).

>  At first users when do something like
> File->load script and it would load a scheme file. I then thought it
> may
> be better to add swig support (I don't know how hard that would be)
> users could then load files written in python or many other languages.
> The long term benefit would be that we can add lots of functionality
> denemo without increasing the size of the binary so much.
The scheme I have for the users to provide libraries of functionality
for others to pick and choose from is also not going to involve
increasing the core Denemo program as these libraries grow. (Am I
stating the obvious?) There are only two or three core callback actions
that will be invoked (a callback to create a LilyPond insert object, a
callback to invoke a keymap switch, and perhaps something for
implementing macros, ie sequences of Denemo functions).
I have a feeling this would be as far as the core code in Denemo could
be pushed.