Re: [Denemo-devel] Questions and Comments on Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Questions and Comments on Denemo
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 07:57:15 +0100

> develop workarounds. I tried a bit and saw that Denemo is not capable of
> having differnt time-signatures in different staves, call it dualtimed
> or polyrhythmic or whatever. A feature needed mostly in contemporary
> music. If you add a change or the initial signature it changes all
> staves. Is this the same core-code like the barlines?
I'm not sure - I could imagine display problems. You may be able to
write two staffs in separate files then use Add Staffs to put them
together - not sure what would happen!

> Second is Alsa and Jack. And I totally forgot to name LASH in my initial
> mail. In my opinion these three client are the main difference between
> linuxaudio and win/mac.  Maybe It will be a good Idea to ask about a
> little help in the LAU/dev list implementing them into Denemo. I think
> about a scenario where you (I) can use Ardour for audio and syncing it
> through jack-transport with Denemo as midiclient.  Saving the session in
> LASH would be a great step, too.
As I say, I don't really know what sort of things these are - I have had
problems trying to get Jack and Alsa "going" (whatever that would be) on
my machine, when I had RedHat 8.x, and I think I also couldn't get Aubio
to go using (?) Jack, so I ended up splicing in portaudio.

> I checked the copy&paste issue. The "set mark" key in my brandnew
> cvs-version is Crtl+Space and demark ist crtl+space+shift .  I expected
> a traditional "hold shift to mark" or "hold left mouse to mark" like in
> any text-enviroment, not a marking mode. Anyway, the mouse is not
> working for me in any scenario. I'm not sure If I understood you right
> if there is a mousemode.
Yes there is selection using the mouse, but from your comments I can
tell that it is very obscure. You click on one note and drag to another.
But there are problems with not releasing actually on the note (it
deselects) & with clicking when there is already a note selected (in
which case it deselects).

> The task with marking many staffs at once is that it is possible to
> copy/cut a complete part (lets say "refrain") and re-use it or just cut
> it out and re-arrange your piece.
Yes, the question would be where a paste would go (insert, overwrite,
starting with the measure in the top selected staff going into the staff
at the drop point and then the other staffs going where ...) As I say, I
don't even know what it does at present, nor what was intended by the
author (no specifications).

> Now a few single items:
> -What about setting slurs and ties with marking notes? mark notes an all
> between them will be slured.
Yes, I have in mind some "mousemodes", one would be slurring - select a
note and drag to another and it slurs them - this would feel natural
being like using a pen to add slurs.
> -Is it possible to add custom text just here and there in the staff,
> free to position and as item to delete, copy and paste?
It is possible at the moment (via LilyPond directives - see
http://www.rshann.plus.com/Philidor/SuiteI
for a piece with bits of text (like Da Capo for example) added to the
music. But it is not very freindly at present. I am thinking about a
number of possibilities here: your bookmarks idea is one - it is
possible at the moment to put in a LilyPond directive that is just a
comment (like %{ Verse 1 %} for example). With a search facility we
could go to this point, and as a bonus it would appear in the LilyPond
output without further effort. Jeremiah's guitar fingering indications
is another - I would like to generalize these so that we can easily add
types of these things so that you don't need to know the syntax for
comments or the syntax for fingerings.
You could then search for a given fingering as easily as a named
bookmark.
Thanks again for your feedback