Re: [Demexp-dev] Should we mark a question as "modified" after a vote?

From: skaller
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Should we mark a question as "modified" after a vote?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:03:44 +1000

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 22:05 +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While using the client (a rare task for me ;) I noticed that the client
> can present quite old results because, if only votes are done, the
> server does not mark the question as "modified" and the client uses the
> old results from its cache.
>
> Originally, this was done like this in order not to offer the ability to
> track new votes or vote changes.

> However, in our current setting and
> without further improvement regarding anonymity[1],

Interesting. Hmm. Consider this:

(a) everyone should be able to see the votes as they come in

(b) the client can avail themselves of a delegate which offers
anonymity by accepting and delaying posting of votes

Thus, it can be done on the client side right now by
choosing such a delegate, assuming someone has the
software to register votes, but post them later
in batches to provide anonymity.

So .. the demexp server should just reveal the truth
in real time.

Note: demexp is a brilliant design: it does only two things:
accept votes, and allow people to appoint delegates to vote
for them (and of course accept new questions).

I think this is all it SHOULD do. It should be simple,
secure, and with problematic assumptions about what else
might be needed in some particular political scenario.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>