dejagnu

Re: Mailing list configuration

From: Ben Elliston
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 11:46:55 +1100

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:40:16PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> I should have expected that there would be some reason (or several)
> that that is not done more widely; and I suppose that I can
> explicitly set "Reply-To" to the list when responding to specific
> users who have a long-enough history of sending responses to me that
> should go to the list.

I'm on several mailing lists where the list admins have set Reply-To:
because the list members aren't 'computer people'. You then get what
should be private replies sent to the list, causing much embarrasment
and requests to the list admin to delete messages from the list
archives.

I personally think that setting Reply-to: yourself is, in the same
vein, setting a trap for unaware users. It's when we have a mixture of
lists with different behaviour that people get caught out.

Cheers,
Ben