dctc-general

Re: [Dctc-general] A couple of old wishes from debian users

From: Grzegorz B. Prokopski
Subject: Re: [Dctc-general] A couple of old wishes from debian users
Date: 04 Jun 2003 11:55:33 +0200

W liƛcie z sob, 31-05-2003, godz. 18:44, eric pisze:
> > 4. Being able to use put DC_GUI as an gnome applet would be
> > very cool (it would be silently starting with the environment,
> > connecting dctcs if not connected and doing "attach all" if
> > meant to be so)
>
> Isn't a gnome applet a small icon ? like 64x64... I wonder how I will be able
> to shrink a dc_gui2 window which not fits on a 1024x768 display into a so
> small size :)
I don't think that's what the author had in mind. You must have seen
some ICQ/otherIM clients that register as *applets*, not windows and
when you click on that applet - normal program window appears (normally
registered as a window and visible in window list).

This would have important adventages like:
1. an applet (in case of DCGUI that'd be whole program) starts
automatically in the background when the desktop starts
2. an applet doesn't continuosly take place in your window list
(which is uncecessary because we usually want dcgui to be running
all possible time w/o disturbing us)

This behaviour should be optional though.

> > 5. Maybe add an option to automatically connect to for ex.
> > 25 hubs that have most users? (GBP comment it seems we're starting
> > to have whole "configure what to do on start" directory)
>
> With the current architecture, it seems very hard to do. It probably will be
> easier with the one where there is master DCTC connected to nothing and
> driving a set of slave DCTC. I am currently working on this but I only am at
> the meditation stage :)
Why? Let's say user want's to connect to $H hubs having most users.
Just do this on startup:
a) how many dctcs we have running? => $R
b) if $R>=$H then don't go further
c) get the list of public hubs
d) choose $H-$R top-users hubs and connect to them.

Having that connected with 1. above would be just ideal.

ad. a) I'd be better to count only connected dctcs and maybe even stop
 disconnected dctcs after some period of time w/o connection or sth.
 like that.

> > PS: Is this list alive? Eric, can you say how many users are
> > subscribed currently?
> currently, the lists are used by very few peoples. Most of the users seems to
> prefer the forum.
Maybe dropping a note there that there's a ML up and running - would
be good idea? At least if anyone had Debian-related questions :-)

Thanks for your effort,

                                        Grzegorz B. Prokopski

PS: Yesterday, while turning off my computer I again forgot to run
dcgui to stop all dctcs that were running. And today I again have
tons of half-fetched files in GDL directory which are not listed
by dcgui as "Unattached". Is there anything I can do?

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <address@hidden>
Debian http://www.debian.org/