[Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.1.0-rc1 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.1.0-rc1 posted
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:37:57 +0200

Hi,

I spent last week at the LinuxTag 2009 conference in Berlin. There I
unexpectedly met up with Lino Sanfilippo. Together we had a great
hacking session and were able to tackle a lot of DazukoFS issues. Some
of these include:

- Finally handling mmap() cleanly! PROT_WRITE is now correctly
  unsupported so applications can safely fallback to regular file IO.

- Fixed a bug when multiple stackable filesystems are stacked onto
  each other. All other stackable filesystems also have this bug at
  the moment. I plan to submit a patch to mainline to fix ecryptfs as
  well.

- As suggested on LKML, we are now using the pid framework. This
  should allow DazukoFS to work correctly with pid namespaces. (If you
  use pid namespaces, I would greatly appreciate testing feedback.)

- Reading directories is now handled correctly. Until now you could
  sometimes see "invalid argument" error messages when using the grep
  tool. ecryptfs also has this problem. I plan to submit a patch to
  mainline to fix ecryptfs as well.

- libdazukofs will now allow dazukofs_open() to be successful for a
  read-only /dev/dazukofs.ctrl if the group already exists. This makes
  it possible to run full on-access scanners _without_ever_ starting
  the application as root.

Version 3.1.0-rc1 has been updated to support Linux 2.6.30. Right now
there are no other patches included to support other versions.

I had a blast at LinuxTag. Many thanks go out to Lino Sanfilippo for
the many great discussions, new ideas, and lots of hacking fun.

John Ogness