[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.2.3-pre1 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.2.3-pre1 posted
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:28:26 +0100

Hi,

With the release of Dazuko 2.0 coming up, I want to start preparing the
1.x series for retirement. Over the past few months there have been some
bugfixes to the 2.0.0 pre-releases that also address problems that exist
in version 1.2.2. I have now ported this fixes over to 1.2.3-pre1.

I have also eliminated the warning messages for unknown ioctl's. This
will eliminate the appearance of errors occuring when a 2.0 process
initiates communication with a 1.2.3 kernel module. This move may or may
not be controversial. Since 2.0 uses write() instead of ioctl(), there
is no reason for unknown ioctl's for 1.x to even be used. I will have to
think about it... if silently ignoring unknown ioctl's is dangerous.

As I stated in my last email, 1.2.3 will not have any new features.
Although 1.2.3 is a hairy mess compared to the elegance of the 2.0
design, it is just as functional and may even be a little faster
(because of the absense of the abstraction layer). Nonetheless, 2.0 has
evolved to be rock solid and I will be moving 2.0 to be the official
stable version once it is released.

Why am I even releasing a 1.2.3 version, you ask? I'm not sure. Mainly I
just want the 1.x series to end on a "perfect" version. :)

Keep in mind, 1.2.3 only supports Linux 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. Without the
abstraction layer, it cannot be _easily_ made for other systems (even
Linux 2.6).

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer