cp-tools-discuss

Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: gjdoc
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:47:49 +0100

Looking at the latest posts from Grzegorz and Brian, in summary
it seems like for statically linked Gjdoc we can't go with
Apache. Therefore I have picked up Nic's idea and implemented a
rudimentary JAXP-conforming driver for Libxslt (XSLT only, no
XML or Schema support.) It already works quiet nice. I'll add
support for Templates and clean up the code a little and check it
into the Gjdoc tree tonight or tomorrow. (Unless someone would
like to start a new sub-project [perhaps "libxsltj" or "libxmlj"?])

This will enable us to both have Gjdoc use the JAXP standard AND
produce an executable using Gcj (which will then require Libxslt
and Libxml2 sharedlib to be installed in order for generating HTML.)

When using a Java VM, Gjdoc will use the default JAXP transformer
or the one set using -Djavax.transformer.TransformerFactory -
which might be the Libxslt wrapper for GNU JAXP or Xalan, Saxon
or whatever the user prefers.

With this solution, everybody should be happy ;)

Julian

Nic Ferrier wrote:
Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

Libxml2 isn't under GPL either - it's released under the MIT
license - so actually the Gjdoc version currently in CVS also
relies on non-GPLed software (at least when it comes to HTML
generation.)

So technically, while Gjdoc works on a 100% "free" toolchain, it
doesn't run on a 100% GPLed toolchain - not in the past, and
obviously not in the near future.

I understand that the ultimate goal is to provide all Cp-tools
with no dependencies on non-GPLed third-party software. But until
this is possible, what's the official GNU policy towards this
end - especially when it comes down to static linking? Who can
give a definitive statement to this issue?

I'd be happy to go along with Xalan for now, but I wonder if we
can (or should) encourage users to download Xalan, and provide a
tailored build file, or usage instructions for it. Something
like "make sure you have Xalan, Saxon or another JAXP-compliant
XSL processor on your CLASSPATH." Or - for the gjc-based build -
"you have to link Xalan-foo.jar into the executable for XSL
processing to work."

I don't like the idea of recommending xalan (which is why I hope to
write this libxslt wrapper).

I know that libxml uses the MIT licence (which one? expat? X11?) but
it's obviously GPL compatible. Since one GNU project is already
relying on it I think it's safe for gjdoc to rely on it.

When I've finished my wrapper I hope it will go into Classpath and
GCJ as a standard part of the build. XML seems to be that important
to java these days (another reason why I want to write the wrapper is
to reduce the amount of work the GNU java community has to do to keep
up with the language: libxml2 will give us schema and so forth - stuff
that aelfred2 is unlikely ever to do).

However, that's all by the by. I haven't written this wrapper yet, I
haven't even started. I am aware it's high priority (it's high
priority to me as well since Paperclips doesn't natively compile with
GCJ right now because of a bug in aelfred2).

Nic