cp-tools-discuss

Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] build

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] build
Date: 14 May 2002 11:01:14 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I bought his (and others) The Goat Book and it has nice diagrams
> > explaining what is generated by what:
> > <http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_277.html#SEC277>
> > The Automake manual (for 1.6.1) says the same thing about generating
> > aclocal.m4 with acinclude.m4:
> > <http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake/html_mono/automake.html#SEC17>
>
> Ok... but the autoconf manual is the bible, right? I really don't know
> the answer to this.

aclocal takes the necessary contents of acinclude.m4 and the necessary
contents of (usually) /usr/share/aclocal (or /usr/share/aclocal-1.6)
based on configure.in and places these in a file called aclocal.m4.
So with each new automake you install you could end up with a slightly
different aclocal.m4.

There have been some changes recently with respect to the proper names
for some files.  I'm not sure if acinclude.m4 is affected by this.  I
need to upgrade all my auto* tools and libtool again to check.  These
are deprecations that Classpath currently uses that I'm referring to.

If you could integrate automakejar features into automake in a
compatible way I think this would be a good thing.  It is automake
that creates these complicated install/uninstall/dist kinds of targets
from simple Makefile.am files.  So let automake do this and don't
bother the human with these and let your addition add to or extend the
crappy _JAVA support in automake already.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>