cp-tools-discuss

Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Patch Manager

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Patch Manager
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 11:47:32 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:
My ultimate goal is to use gjdoc for generating nice looking javadoc for GNU Classpath and later with the texidoclet to generate something which might resemble something like a real manual for it.

My goal too!

I hope that we can use this for the ClasspathX project and other
projects and publish a single "GNU-java" manual with:

TexiDoclets purpose always was to produce Info in order to enable
reading docs in Emacs, not to produce printed output.

Its long ago that I tried to make a Postscript file from the TexInfo
source, but I'm quite sure that this won't produce professional
looking printed output. That's one reason why the proposed
"TexiDoclet II" (see other mail) produces Info directly, the TexInfo
code TexiDoclet produces wasn't suited for printing anyway.

In the long term, I think the best way to produce printed docs
will be to use formatting objects for outputting PDF; to produce
DocBook XML; or to produce TexInfo which is optimized for printing.

The former two will only require a specialized style sheet. The
latter will probably require an additional tool "XmlTexi",
corresponding to XmlInfo described in my other mail.

Julian