Re: coreutils 8.30 "bootstap"

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: coreutils 8.30 "bootstap"
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 23:01:48 +0200

On 08/01/2018 09:40 PM, Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> I would like to "bootstrap/cross compile" coreutils 8.30 using a local
> toolchain
> from x86_64 to i686.
>
> Compiling works fine, and the generated binaries are correct, but when
> manuals comes to play, help2info tries to execute the compiled
> binaries to get the man pages from --help output, but the compiled
> binaries are not executable on the host target, since its not
> multiarch.
>
> Generating the main pages will fail, and build terminates.
>
> How could I solve this problem and let coreutils compile in this
> environment?

I think you should take the distribution tarball [1] rather than
'./bootstrap'ing from the 'coreutils.git' repo.  If you want to do the
latter, then you still would need to create the distribution tarball
via 'make dist' (which will be version "v8.30-10-ge5dae2c6b" as of now),
and then use that distribution tarball to cross-compile for the target
platform.

The distribution tarball will already contain the generated man pages.

[1] "coreutils-8.30 released [stable]" announcement
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2018-07/msg00001.html

Have a nice day,
Berny