Re: What time is `sleep` based on?

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: What time is `sleep` based on?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 15:52:21 -0600

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> For example, if I run `sleep 1000` and then I put the computer to
> sleep for 1000s and wake the computer up. Will the `sleep` finish at
> the time when the computer wakes up? Or `sleep` will take another 1000
> seconds to terminate? Thanks.

The short answer: on Linux systems, it will sleep another 1000s
seconds after resuming from suspension.

For more details, read past discussion starting here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2012-08/msg00077.html

Ending here with Pádraig's explanation on why this goes against what's
expected by POSIX:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2012-08/msg00091.html

regards,
 - assaf