Re: Would a patch adding color to cat(1) be accepted?

From: Leslie S Satenstein
Subject: Re: Would a patch adding color to cat(1) be accepted?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:03:42 +0000 (UTC)

My RESPONSE
KISS
 Regards
 Leslie
 Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

      From: Eric Blake <address@hidden>
 To: Pádraig Brady <address@hidden>; Eric Pruitt <address@hidden>;
address@hidden
 Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:37 AM

On 10/10/2017 03:43 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> This idea has some merit, though I'd prefer not to have
> cat needing to deal with CAT_COLORS etc.

I also like the idea, but detest the environment variable.  When we
recently added coloring to 'diff' (see diffutils 3.4), we chose --color
to turn things on, but --palette to specify which colors to use rather
than an environment variable.

In fact, if we want to add 'cat --palette', it might be nice to retrofit
'ls --color --palette' where the command line takes precedence over the
environment variable LS_COLORS.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.          +1-919-301-3266