Re: request for extending ls command

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: request for extending ls command
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 08:55:25 -0600

On 01/27/2017 07:10 AM, DAMlAN DRAGOWSKl wrote:
> I didn't find any remark on that extension in rejected extending requests,
> so I propose to extend ls command for date range listing as it is
> implemented in find command.

But that's the problem.  Why bloat 'ls' to do something that 'find' can
already do?  For that matter, even if we added it to 'ls', it would be
quite some time before those changes percolate to your distro, and you
wouldn't be able to rely on that extension being present on every
machine; while you already have a working solution with 'find' present
on any machine you want.

The whole idea of Unix tools is to do one thing and do it well; it is
'find' that is good at locating files that meet a particular criteria,
so bloating other tools to duplicate that is not going to be worth the
effort.

> Many time in my work I need to list only last hour of system logs file and
> because of huge amount of files in directory it is not userfriendly to list
> with -ltr option with teil -10 , or use find command. I prefer to use ls
> command, but it has no such a options.

You can always create a shell script (or alias) that bundles the proper
find arguments into a much more compact name that you find easy to
remember.  But I still don't see the point to bloat ls (which already
has too many options) to do something that find can already do.