Re: df and mount: too much noise

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: df and mount: too much noise
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 23:52:26 +0000

On 18/11/16 22:25, Breno Leitao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am seeing an increasing amount of 'noise' on the output of df and
> mount commands as the Linux evolves.
>
> This is due to a huge amount of things being mounted automatically on
> Linux environemnt.
>
> For example, I just reinstalled my system (with a single partition), and
> a simple 'mount' command dumps more than 33 lines, including securityfs,
> tmpfs, devpts, proc, sysfs entries.
>
> I am missing (or I do not found), a single command that dumps only
> disks/partition mounts. The same thing for 'df'.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> 1) I am facing a real problem? Was it discussed already?
>
> 2) If this is a real problem, should it be addressed on coreutils or on
> the higher layers?
>
> Thank you,
> Breno

df defaults to listing file systems that have storage associated with them
be that RAM or disk, or whatever.

It elides "dummy" file systems by default.
I.E. file systems without associated storage.
(Note tmpfs has storage associated).

If there are "dummy" entries being listed,
then we should add them to the dummy types in gnulib.

thanks,
Pádraig