Re: using ASCII names to avoid overhead

From: Torbjörn Granlund
Subject: Re: using ASCII names to avoid overhead
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 13:42:01 +0100

Pádraig Brady <address@hidden> writes:

  I was just looking at the overhead of proper_name_utf8() vs proper_name()
  in coreutils, and noticed that using the former adds about 18K to each
program.
  For example truncate(1) is 62K with and 44K without.
  I'm going to simplify usages for my name at least.
  I don't care and anyway no one can pronounce it no matter which form is used
:)
  I was wondering if you preferred to keep utf8 usage for your names?
  These names are seen in `cat --version` output etc.

I don't care about Torbjörn vs Torbjorn.  (Actually, I think it's not
necessary to plug authors' names at all from the binaries.)

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622