Getting current directory name

From: Ковалев Кирилл
Subject: Getting current directory name
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:59:04 +0300

Hello!

I'm writing for the first time in such list, so any advices are appreciated.

Let's say, we got a path: "/home/user/dir". *I'd like to obtain just a
string "dir".*

I tried to execute "basename" utility with no success:

$ basename
$ pwd | basename

Then I open manual / help message and realize that correct way to use it is:

$ basename $(pwd)

Which seems for me to be non-intuitive, compared with these I tried to use.

So, the questions are:

*- What is the correct way to get just the last part of CWD name, "dir"?*
- Why there is no STDIN reading feature in "basename" util? Are there some
serious reasons or was it just lost of developers sight?
- Is it allowed for me to contribute and add such functionality? How should
I proceed with merge request, if so?
- If it is better idea to consider add some flags to "dirname" or "pwd"
utils, not the "basename"?

Thank you in advance for your time.

--
Best regards