Re: ls output change

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: ls output change
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:10:58 +0100

On 02/21/2016 08:18 AM, John Trengrove wrote:
> Today I was a little bewildered at what happened to my terminal.
>
> After some research I found that a recent change in coreutils modified the
> default ls output to be more verbose but "safer".
>
> I'm happy that options like this output format exist and that core
> utilities like ls are getting maintained. However, I dislike this new
> default and regret the fact I will have to deal with it in every linux
> machine I own.
>
> As one of the few users using a rolling distro and first in line to
> upgrade, I predict this mailing list will receive complaints about this
> feature for the next two years. I hope the maintainers have considered if
> such a disruptive change is worthwhile.

There already have been discussions on this.

Just out of curiosity - what rolling distro do you use?

On mine - openSUSE:Tumbleweed - the 'aaa_base-extras' package defines
a shell alias which uses "-N --color=tty -T 0" per default for a very
long time - so we don't profit from the safer output right now.
I'll have to contact the guys maintaining that downstream package for
the reasoning behind.

Have a nice day,
Berny