Re: mktemp: require that the template include at least 6 'X' to match PO

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: mktemp: require that the template include at least 6 'X' to match POSIX mkstemp/mkdtemp.
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:10:24 +0000

On 18/01/16 07:32, Zhixiong Chi wrote:
> Hi All,
> I find the command 'mktemp' between coreutils and the standalone mktemp
> package is different for the consecutive 'X'.
>     mktemp.coreutils : at least 3 'X'
>     standalone mktemp : at least 6 'X'
> At the same time I observe a commit as follow:
> https://www.mktemp.org/repos/mktemp/rev/a47f80204f77
> As the commit mentioned, the purpose is to match POSIX requirement.
>
> Will we change the mktemp.coreutils code to match the POSIX?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.

I'm not sure.

POSIX does state that mkstemp(3) needs six XXXXXX,
though doesn't specify the interface for mktemp(1) at all,
and our mktemp(1) doesn't actually call mkstemp(3).

Changing to 6 could break some existing scripts.

For completeness, mktemp(1) uses 9 Xs in the default template.

thanks,
Pádraig