Re: removal of kill?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: removal of kill?
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 23:54:18 +0000

On 09/11/15 19:20, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 09/11/15 16:58, Pádraig Brady wrote:

>>> Note that POSIX requires an 'exec'able kill program.
>>> I.e., the shell-provided one is insufficient when you want to
>>> invoke it via a program like xargs.
>>
>> OK I'll assume for now that platforms
>> might not have a separate kill program,
>> and move it to disabled_by_default_progs.

On second thoughts we might continue to build kill,
since there seems to be quite a bit of divergence on how
-l is handled at least:

GNU> /bin/kill -l HUP
1
solaris> /bin/kill -l HUP
1
freebsd> /bin/kill -l HUP
error, usage is...
util-linux> /bin/kill -l HUP
HUP
debian-procps> /bin/kill -l HUP
HUP INT QUIT ..
debian-procps> /bin/kill -l 1
HUP INT QUIT ..

The procps handling of `kill -l 1` seems to contravene POSIX.

I also notice that GNU kill is used with kfreebsd on debian.

For these reasons I might just keep the test cleanups
from my previous patch but continue to build kill by default?

cheers,
Pádraig