RFC: ls default escaping

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: RFC: ls default escaping
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:53:48 +0000

I noticed in the info docs that ls may change to "shell" quoting by default.

  "You can specify the default value of the ‘--quoting-style’ option
   with the environment variable ‘QUOTING_STYLE’.  If that environment
   variable is not set, the default value is ‘literal’, but this
   default may change to ‘shell’ in a future version of this package."

Given the new support for "shell-escape" quoting which provides
both a concise and unambiguous output, should we now consider
enabling that by default?

$ touch '1 2' 3 $'4\r'
$ ls-old
1 2  3  4?