Re: rm should exit immediately if the user cannot write to the parent di

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: rm should exit immediately if the user cannot write to the parent directory
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 06:13:01 -0600

On 09/03/2015 09:48 PM, Alex Henrie wrote:

> I'd like to see the standard changed so that once rm determines that
> the file is read-only, it may optionally check that the file can
> actually be deleted and skip the prompt if it cannot. The default
> codepath would not be affected, and the extra compute time is nothing
> compared to the time it would save the user.
>
> What is the appropriate place to discuss proposed revisions to the
> POSIX standard?

File your proposed wording changes as a bug against Issue7+TC1 at
http://austingroupbugs.net/main_page.php

It may be a while before the Austin Group can discuss the issue,
including whether it is worth permitting what indeed amounts to a minor
data race. You may want to use
http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=819 as a template, since it
involves discussion on a similar proposed optimization (even where the
optimization implies a data race, missing out on a chance for a second
terminal to correct things before the first terminal would check the
need for a second prompt).