Re: Feature request, "create on mount" to create mount point directory o

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: Feature request, "create on mount" to create mount point directory on mount, implied remove on unmount
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 01:40:37 -0400

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 03:34:59 +0100, jon said:

> I remember "virtual memory" and even "virtual addressing" but I think
> the term "virtual machine" is modern, maybe someone else knows, google
> did not help me much trying to prove it one way or the other.

Hardly.  IBM was working with virtual machines as far back as the
IBM S360/67 in the late 60s (and even a highly modified /40), and released
VM/370 in 1972.  They used the term 'Virtual Machine' as early as 1966:

R. J. Adair, R. U. Bayles, L. W. Comeau, and R. J. Creasy, A Virtual Machine
System for the 360/40, IBM Corporation, Cambridge Scientific Center Report No.
320-2007 (May 1966)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_%28operating_system%29

(And that's just what I'm familiar with from being a VM jock from 1982 to 2000,
I'm sure there's earlier references...)