Re: Some options I would like to see on AIX

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Some options I would like to see on AIX
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 09:59:15 -0600

On 06/05/2015 08:44 AM, Michael Felt wrote:

[your top-posting is still making it harder to reply]

> Well, in terms of compatibility, for people like me who have used the AIX
> option for years (it goes back to 1996-1997 when ACLs became mainstream in
> AIX (4.2 at least, if not 4.1.X).
>
> Further, I not comprehend why coreutils shows a + on a directory (with -ld)
> but not on a file. Makes me wonder what it is actually reporting on.

Most likely because you have a case where the directory has a
non-defalut ACL but the file does not.  In fact, it's quite common for
directories to have more ACLs than files, because some of those ACLs are
used for setting the default permissions on files created in the directory.

> Guess I need to dig into what (linux) xattrs are. I am assuming something
> not in AIX - under that label at least.

xattrs can include more than ACLs; and meanwhile, while ACLs are often
implemented by xattrs they can also be implemented in other means.
Which is why libvirt shows '.' for the presence of xattrs that don't
affect ACL.

On a Linux system, look at the output of 'getfacl' on a directory and
file, where the directory shows with '+' but the file does not, to
compare the two different ACL settings.