Re: Question re: GNU coreutils for Windows

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Question re: GNU coreutils for Windows
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:14:19 -0600

On 03/25/2015 01:05 AM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> On 03/23/2015 03:25 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 03/22/2015 07:06 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> I've been using the corutils port for windows for some time, but it is
>>> apparently not being updated and is stuck at version 5.3...
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is an update available somewhere?
>>
>> Look at cygwin.com, which is much more up-to-date.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I've not been using cygwin for building for a while, but wouldn't
> it be possible to build statically linked binaries, maybe together
> with the '-mno-cygwin' option?

-mno-cygwin is obsolete (it was an old way to attempt to build a mingw
binary without using a cross-compiler); these days, cygwin ships with a
proper cross-compiler for directly building mingw apps.  But yes, it is
possible to build pure mingw apps using the cygwin environment; and in
fact, the MSYS project ships such binaries.  But it all boils down to
what you want - if you want an entire ecosystem of ported applications,
use cygwin (all pre-compiled, but those binaries all depend on
cygwin1.dll); if you want native applications statically linked, use
mingw binaries (easiest when using the pre-compiled binaries from the
MSYS distribution, but fewer applications available).