Re: tail is reading already rotated file.

From: 최종우
Subject: Re: tail is reading already rotated file.
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:50:30 +0900

Thanks for your reply.

I am using ext4 local filesystem in kernel 2.6.32.
Of course, I can test that ways on my system. But the problems doesn't happen always.
So during my test, I will investigate why this problems happened.

Please let me know if there are anything else I need to check.

On 23/01/15 07:51, 최종우 wrote:
> I am using GNU coreutils 8.4 with flume 1.4.0, log4j 1.2.17.
>
> I've found a problem that sometimes tail run by flume is reading a file has been renamed by log4j.
>
> flume executed tail with following parameters:
> tail -F logfilename
>
> Fist flume had run the command, I checked file descriptors opened by tail process:
> ls -l /proc/pid/fd
>
> 0 -> pipe:[185694192] // Sorry, I am not sure that the numbers are correct.
> 1 -> pipe:[185694193]
> 2 -> pipe:[185694194]
> 4 -> inotify
> 5 -> logfilename
>
> After time passed, log4j had rotated the log file, I rechecked file descriptos:
> ls -l /proc/pid/fd
>
> 0 -> pipe:[185694192] // Sorry, I am not sure that the numbers are correct.
> 1 -> pipe:[185694193]
> 2 -> pipe:[185694194]
> 4 -> inotify
> 5 -> logfilename.1
>

> tail has been being executed with a parameter '-F', but didn't follow by name.
> This problem doesn't happen always. I don't know why this problem happened.

There have been many fixes to tail since version 8.4 (5 years old).
In particular, that version of tail would not notice changes to files
on remote file systems.  What file system are you using?
I'd encourage you to test with a later version if possible.
Also I'd try using the undocumented ---disable-inotify option
(note the 3 dashes) to see if inotify is to blame.

thanks,
Pádraig.