Re: Question on 'date' command: why UTC_sign_number_ is inverted?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Question on 'date' command: why UTC_sign_number_ is inverted?
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 14:07:59 -0600

Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Masataro Asai wrote:
> > Is this a bug or the intended behavior?
>
> I think the main confusing here is that for POSIX timezones
> you need to do the opposite to standard convention (and date output),
> and use TZ=UTC-9 rather than TZ=UTC+9
>
> POSIX timezones are inconsistent and confusing,
> so I suggest one sticks to location based zones instead:
>
> http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/linux_timezones/

See also the libc documentation.  The behavior is implemented in
libc.  The docs are available online at:

https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html#TZ-Variable

The online standards docs:

  http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap08.html

And additionally the FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/#The-date-command-is-not-working-right_002e

Bob

If you have the glibc documentation installed then you can browse the
locally installed docs.  This is in the glibc-doc package on your
Ubuntu system.

  $ info libc 'TZ Variable'