Re: Is --check-order the default of comm?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Is --check-order the default of comm?
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 02:01:31 +0100

On 02/01/2014 07:17 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that --check-order is the default of comm. But I don't find
> this documented in man. Could anybody confirm whether this is the case
> and help document it? Thanks.

The default operation is something different. From the info documentation:

"If the `--check-order' option is given, unsorted inputs will cause a
fatal error message.  If the option `--nocheck-order' is given,
unsorted inputs will never cause an error message.  If neither of these
options is given, wrongly sorted inputs are diagnosed only if an input
file is found to contain unpairable lines.  If an input file is
diagnosed as being unsorted, the `comm' command will exit with a
nonzero status (and the output should not be used)."

cheers,
Pádraig.