Re: question about behavior of sort -n -t,

From: Gabriel Gaster
Subject: Re: question about behavior of sort -n -t,
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 19:00:52 -0500

That's true, but I think that the expected output would be for sort to assume
the data is comma-delimited, because -t, was specified in the command, and then
to sort on each field.

In your example, they actually result in the same thing. In this case, I think
it's only when the comma character doesn't make sense as a numeric that the
results would be different.

In other words, in an example in which a comma is actually *meant* to be both a
field-separator and a numeric character and the comma's are well-placed, then
the results will agree. If however, the comma does not make sense as a numeric,
as in the following example, then the results would be different and would not
make sense.

a,1,11
bb,4,321
c,1,1111

If any of the above is wrong, it's only because I know very little about unix.
Cheers,
Gabe

--
gabriel gaster